Berytech is launching its A.C.T. SMART Innovation Hub program that includes two tracks: one for Ag-Tech and another for Clean Tech (renewable energy, waste and water). The program focuses on innovation and entrepreneurship support to startups and clusters, as well creates a conducive environment to scale the support and the ecosystem.
The Acceleration activity will accept startups and SMEs at early stage and will be tasked with producing the country’s next high-impact businesses, particularly in the software, hardware, robotics and IoT industries and supporting the ecosystem around them related to these sectors. The Cluster will work on supporting innovative SMEs to scale and become more competitive and support that innovation ecosystem.
We are looking for an experienced Program Manager to organize and coordinate the Ag-tech Track of the ACT SMART Innovation Hub. You will be managing the operations and administration, provide strategic guidance to team members in ways that promote the organization’s culture and program objectives. You will also oversee the progress of operations.
The Track Program Manager will be the prime interface with stakeholders in the agri-food sector, responsible for managing the operations, planning, marketing and development of this Track and supporting the Program Director. Ensuring the day-to-day smooth running of the program, with high levels of client satisfaction focusing on creating the best possible environment in which smart agri-food related startups and SMEs can grow and succeed.
This position requires a team player with leadership qualities, excellent communication skills, a professional and positive attitude, organization and dependability. This is a challenging role but at the same time makes available endless opportunities and learning for the candidate.
Key responsibilities and job tasks
The Track Program Manager will be responsible for leading the Ag-tech Track ensuring that the entrepreneurship programs and the cluster growth are up to the program’s expectations.
- Overall planning the activities, resources, budgets and operations of the track.
- Events and workshops: direct and organize various workshops, events, and webinars for the program, and execute the same with the help of team members and external consultants
- Partnerships: forge partnerships with other organizations for providing services to the startups or the organization; marketing the program, sponsorships, etc. Liaison with the government and industries.
- Marketing the track and its development: be the face of the Agrytech track and actively promote it through various channels, work with the Communication and Outreach team on ensuring maximum exposure.
- Prepare all required reports and maintain a comprehensive set of records on all activities.
- Administration of the Track and any other activities which requires the manager’s involvement.
- Liaison with other related projects related to the sector (consortium, innovation funds etc.).
Startups Acceleration component
- Pre-incubation: deal flow generation, screening of proposals, research, patent landscaping, working with entrepreneurs on market validation through the acceleration team
- Mentor network: develop the mentor network for the acceleration program and work with the acceleration team to make the supported ventures successful.
- Acceleration and incubation: lead formation of new business and keep track of the incubation process; help the startups prepare proposals, connect to market, clients, users, get funding, etc.
- Funding for incubatee projects: work in coordination with senior management for setting up grant support and seed funds for startups.
- Membership: support the cluster manager with increasing the members number, quality and participation level.
- Strategy and connections: act as a liaison between the track components and build linkages needed. Increase the impact on innovation, competitiveness and research to commercialization, by supporting and empowering the cluster manager and sharing the role in growth.
- Partnerships: accelerate the impactful partnerships for stronger links and impact to meet the strategic growth plan of the cluster, including academia, research, government, private sector and international linkages.
- Policy development: work with the policy development partner to develop white papers to improve the business and innovation landscape in the sector.
5 to 10 years’ proven experience in Project and Operations Management or related field
- Managing processes, developing standards, promoting process improvement
- Budgeting and reporting; grant reporting is a plus
- Good stakeholder management, previous experience with stakeholders like Chambers of Commerce, Cooperatives, government entities related to business development is a plus
Education & Skills
- B.Sc. in Agriculture, with an MBA is needed
- Strong computer skills: MS Excel, MS Word, MS Powerpoint, comfortable with new systems
- Language Skills: fluency in English and Arabic. French is a plus.
- Life Skills
- Strong Personal Relationship Management skills
- Strong interpersonal and networking skills, a connector, with genuine interest in supporting the success of others
- Passionate about innovation and knowledgeable about new technologies and trends
- Able to influence in a highly matrixed and rapidly changing environment
- Understanding of what makes successful businesses
- Strong in problem solving, at ease with numbers
- Excellent in organizational and analytical skills
- Results-driven, initiative-taker, proactive, resilient
- Diplomat with excellent abilities to motivate people
- Highly-meticulous, organized, pragmatic, curious, motivated, positive
- Communication, management and leadership skills
Working Conditions & Compensation
- Work a standard work week but may be required to work some evenings and weekends to monitor program activities and outreach to the program.
- Berytech recognizes that change is driven by involving the best people. Salary will be competitive and commensurate depending on the related experience and education.
Interested applicants meeting all the above requirements are to submit by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, mentioning the position name in the subject line
- Cover letter on why they qualify for the position
- CV, clearly demonstrating experience and skills
- Names and contact details of three references. References will not be contacted without prior consent.
Deadline for submission is August 23, 2019. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Initiated in 2002 by the Saint-Joseph University, Berytech provides a dynamic environment for the creation and development of startups fostering innovation, technology and entrepreneurship.