The Fab Lab Technician’s main task is to support the Fab Lab Coordinator and designer(s) in the day‐to‐day running and projects implementation; and to provide first‐line technical support and maintenance of machines and tools for on‐site fabrication & IT infrastructure to ensure optimal operation of the Fab Lab and the machines. The Fab lab Technician will work closely with the Fab Lab Coordinator and designers and will engage with Fab Lab users to explore the potential of digital fabrication equipment and processes such as laser cutting, CNC milling and 3D printing.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & JOB TASKS
- Ensure practical and technical support for individuals and groups of Fab Lab users
- Ensure the daily operations of the Fab Lab and the implementation of projects (from introductory to advanced levels) and prototypes using the lab’s equipment
- Be able to quickly be up to speed with projects
- Ensure the maintenance of the lab’s equipment and software for optimal working conditions
- Ensure availability, applicability and safety of equipment, maintain inventory of consumable materials for learners
- Deal with the sale of materials for Fab Lab users
- Develop activities (including assisting in technical training) when needed, scheduling time and space
- Train users in equipment operation
- Handle phone calls and taking appointments for projects and Fab Lab visits
- Help organize Fab Lab tours and various events and workshops
- Supervise and work along a team of volunteers at the lab
- Support team members on projects when needed
- Advise and assist entrepreneurs within the scope of technical expertise and capacities
- Assist in tasks required by the organization
EDUCATION & SKILLS REQUIREMENTS
- Arabic and English (verbal and written)
- French is a plus
- Technical degree/BS in engineering or other STEAM-related fields or related experience in the field with significant technical experience
- Digital fabrication/manufacturing certificate (a big plus)
- Three years of recent professional experience providing support services in digital fabrication and/or experience managing or being part of a team of a Fab Lab, maker space, or a factory with a knowledge in the following:
- 2D and 3D files editing including 3D models, 2D layouts, and 2D images (convert, export, scale, and edit files)
- Digital fabrication equipment and rapid prototyping technologies and processes such as 3D printing, vinyl cutting, laser etching/cutting, CNC milling, and other related equipment.
- Wood works and post-processing/post-production works including assembly
- Demonstrate strong commitment to customer service
- Have a hands-on approach with a love for making and experimenting
- Have a clear love for teaching
- Be motivated and enthusiastic
- Be autonomous and social
- Be open-minded and easy-going
- Be creative but consistent
- Be communicative with all ages
Interested applicants meeting all the above requirements are to submit by email to email@example.com, mentioning the position name in the subject line and the location (Tripoli or Sibline or Nabatieh).
- Cover letter on why they qualify for the position
- CV, clearly demonstrating experience and skills
- Names and contact details of three references. References will not be contacted without prior consent.
Deadline for submission is November 20, 2020. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.