The Water and Energy for Food (WE4F) challenge fund is a partnership between the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of The Netherlands, the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida), and the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID).
Through WE4F, the partners want to expand the scale of innovations that impact the sectors food and water, food and energy or all three sectors of the nexus (food, water, energy) to increase the sustainability of agricultural food value chains, improve energy and water efficiency as well as improve climate resilient agriculture in developing countries and emerging markets in accordance with the SDGs, with a particular focus on the poor and women.
Berytech is leading a consortium made up of locally rooted, water-energy-food and entrepreneurship-focused organizations to deliver the WE4F founding partners’ vision for a Regional Innovation Hub (RIH) in the MENA Region.
The project will run over four years from July 2020 to July 2024.
Berytech is looking to expand its team by hiring the position of Head of Grants and Financial Controls
As the Head of Grants and Financial Controls, you will be responsible for managing the grants and financial controls, contract management and procurement of Technical Assistance (TA) for WE4F RIH – MENA program. You will play a key role in the design, development, and oversight of the Grant management and TA procurement policies, procedures, and practices. You will provide guidance to team members and grantees, analyze and evaluate grant applications, select beneficiaries and ensure adherence to grants management policies. The position requires significant project management skills, good understanding of project operations, and the ability to be accurate and thorough in control, auditing and reporting.
This position requires leadership qualities, excellent communication skills, a professional and positive attitude, organization, and dependability. This is a challenging role, but, at the same time, makes available endless opportunities and learning.
The Head of Grants and Financial Controls will be entirely responsible for managing the grants and financial controls, contract management and procurement of Technical Assistance (TA) for WE4F RIH – MENA program. This would be inclusive of the following:
- Serve as the primary point of contact from the Berytech Led Consortium to WE4F related to Grants, Contracts and Procurement
- Draft and develop the Grants & Procurement Manual for the project and ensure the donor approval of the Manual and that it is in accordance with Donor regulations.
- Identify and develop strategies to optimize the grants administration process and TA Procurement
- Play an active role in training and mentoring relevant stakeholders on matters related to grant management; processes and documentation grants management and reporting requirements for grant evaluation and approvals.
- Review grant applications to ensure they match the grants manual and the Project’s objectives.
- Monitor technical implementation of grants to ensure timely progress and according to submitted technical reports, proposed strategy and work plans.
- Oversee if the grants and TA are implemented according to the operational and financial needs of the beneficiaries and as per the ToR.
- Provide with detailed reporting to Berytech Management and Donor with respect to project progress
- Plan and implement periodic visits to the field operational areas with a view to reviewing grant implementation and reporting processes to gain assurance that all donor requirements are being complied with as appropriate and implement systems to correct any deficiencies.
- Ensure that various donor regulations are complied with in all grant transactions and processes; keep the Finance Director informed on all major compliance issues/challenges while taking the necessary corrective steps.
- Take part in the program and project performance monitoring, evaluation and reporting in accordance to donor requirements.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, preferably in Finance, Business, Management; MBA preferred, but not required
- Five years of experience at a senior level
- Demonstrated technical expertise in at least one or more of the following disciplines: Business Administration, Business Development Services for SMEs, Grant Management, Contract Management and Procurement
- Practical knowledge of financial systems, internal financial controls & procedures and staff management skills
- Experience designing and managing subgrants to partner organizations strongly preferred
- Experience with major development donors, including US Government agencies (USAID, CDC), is strongly preferred
- Demonstrated ability with reviewing, creating, and implementing new systems and approaches to financial and grant management
Knowledge & Skills
- Ability to coordinate the work of different stakeholders in various territories
- Excellent organizational and project management skills
- Ability to prioritize work, meet deadlines and produce quality results on time with attention to detail
- Strong communication skills, both interpersonal and written
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines, effectively managing multiple priorities
- Ability to effectively communicate financial information to non-financial managers.
- Good problem-solver and analytical
If you feel that you fit the profile, please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, including only in the subject email ‘WE4F Head of Grants and Financial Controls.’ Also, include a short paragraph (100 -200 words) stating how your skills are a perfect fit for the position. Only resumes sent with this paragraph will be considered.
Berytech is an ecosystem for entrepreneurs, providing a dynamic environment for the creation and development of startups and SMEs, fostering innovation, technology and entrepreneurship in Lebanon.