Regional Innovation Factory Program: from Research to Market
The Regional Innovation Factory: from Research to Market, is an activity of THE NEXT SOCIETY Tech Booster Program that aims at providing training in technology transfer procedures to turn research and innovation projects that are close to markets, to potential viable business projects.
The program focuses on research and innovative projects from 7 countries in the MENA region and gives a special focus on Intellectual Property, Commercialization Fundamentals, Technology Development and access to finance. It is a research to innovation Lab Bootcamp that will permit researchers and innovators/entrepreneurs to develop a business model and showcase their technologies.
Overview about the Bootcamps
21 teams from 7 countries in the MENA region from Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Tunisia, and Palestine will be selected to participate in the Regional Innovation Factory. The 21 teams will be divided into 2 groups and each group will go through 3 days virtual bootcamp.
During the 3 intensive days program, participants will receive technical and practical guidance based on best practices case studies stating the problem, the solution and the alignment to progress Technology Transfer. They will be able to develop their own business model, commercialization plan and will learn to pitch to investors
- The main aim is to support research projects close to commercialization to having a clear business model and investment and market readiness
- The Program includes teamwork, networking, learning, applied knowledge and exchange of expertise. Each session includes the presentation of concepts, models and tools and immediate application by the teams based on the case studies, with support from mentors.
At the end of the 3-day Bootcamp, participants should be able to:
- Build their business concept and assess Intellectual Property
- Learn about Intellectual Property and Commercialization Techniques
- Develop a process for technology protection
- Develop a technology commercialization plan
- Develop a market strategy
- Basic financial modelling
- Prepare their pitch to present it to investors and partners
Sessions will follow a dynamic format including:
- Theoretical exposition by the Bootcamp Leader / Expert
- Application of the tools provided and exercises
- Case studies
- One on one advisory with mentors and experts
- Bootcamp 1: Dec 2-4 with 11 research projects – 22 people
- Bootcamp 2: Dec 9-11 with 10 research projects – 20 people
Target Audience & Selection Criteria
- 21 applied research/innovative Projects: average of 42 participants of Researchers/innovators/engineers/professors
- Applied research or project is innovative and technology-based
- Project has an existing prototype or product launched in the market
- Project addresses an important economic or social need
- Market and economic viability of the project
- Potential of scalability to the Mediterranean region
- Team expertise and motivation
- Projects that capitalize and address opportunities in the post Covid-19 society are a plus
- Project should be based in Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestine, or Tunisia and should include at least 1 member who holds the nationality of the country
Profile of The Expert
The expert should fulfil the following criteria:
- At least 10 years of experience in innovation and technology transfer field
- Proven knowledge and expertise in research-based startups and technology transfer processes and practices acquired as entrepreneur and/or investor and/or consultant
- Previous experience with Mediterranean countries will be an asset
- Proficiency in English is required
Application & Selection Process
Applications should include:
- A detailed resume highlighting the expert experience in the fields relevant to the expertise mission or a bio
- A technical and financial offer (proposal) mentioning your offering, the possible interventions and terms and conditions.
Applications should be sent to Mr. Alexandre Bassim by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 1, 2020
Berytech, through EU-funded THE NEXT SOCIETY tech transfer booster track, offers tailor-made activities for researchers, managers of technology transfer offices and industry leaders to support the commercialization of innovation towards industry. Innovation Factory is a program allowing researchers and novel entrepreneurs in Lebanon to develop their innovation in any technology-based sector into commercially viable products and applications. It is funded by the European Union under THE NEXT SOCIETY project and is organized in Lebanon by Berytech and ANIMA, and in Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Morocco, Palestine and Tunisia by THE NEXT SOCIETY national partners under the Tech Booster program.