Entrepreneurs enrolled in the second batch of Berytech’s Cleanergy Accelerator Program, funded by the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in Lebanon, have completed the first phase of the program – the Validation Phase. During this phase, the 18 teams received the technical and business support needed, as well as up to $2,000 in grants to validate their product-market fit and ensure their solutions meet the needs of their customers.
Phase 2 – Moving to Acceleration
After two months of intensive training, mentoring, networking, and coaching, 11 teams were selected to move to the second phase of the program – the Acceleration phase – and will use this 4-month period and up to $15,000 in grants to build their minimum viable product (MVP) and start getting traction.
The jury of the selection day included: Nancy Boueri from Fondation Diane; Georges Bitar from Live Love Recycle; Youssef Kalash from HyveOnline; Evert Jaap Lugt from Yes!Delft; Aline Farajian from Rene Moawad Foundation; Roger Maalouly from Al Bina; Philippe Khoury from ME Green; Digital Transformation and Innovation specialist Lara Ammar; Sarah Hteit from SES; and Cleantech specialist and freelance developer Elias Nicolas.
The shortlisted teams are:
- Ardona: is a startup that cultivates Azolla and mixes it with fruit and vegetable waste to generate organic animal feed.
- Azca Solar: is working on low-cost solar water heaters with a simple tankless design, in which the system has the solar collector and the tank in the same unit.
- Cloud Pads: is providing disposable period pads that are healthy, yet 100% biodegradable and compostable, using innovative eco-materials.
- G4WT: designs generators for wind turbines and installs reliable small-scale wind turbines with a mission to increase renewable energy production in Lebanon and the MENA region.
- Haulo: is a digital platform where fleet drivers or freight companies can sell the extra capacity available in their vehicles or containers to other companies and clients.
- inCharge: is reducing the number of wasted lead-acid batteries by providing maintenance and rejuvenation services for used lead-acid batteries.
- Innergy Solutions: is developing innovative sustainable construction material with the main goal of enhancing the thermal comfort of the building while also reducing its electrical consumption.
- Lebanon Waste Management: is an operating sorting facility that treats dry solid waste generally and polystyrene exclusively.
- Partners with Sun: is replacing traditional burners and ovens with innovative solar technology.
- Refuse Lebanon: is working with underserved communities enabling them to sort recyclables and get rewarded for it.
- YY Regen: is working to re-energizing the agricultural sector in Lebanon with a one-stop platform for on-demand renewable energy targeting Lebanese farmers.
Phase 1 – Two Months of Validation
Phase one started with an induction day, introducing the participants to the program, as well as their access to the Berytech dedicated office spaces and the Berytech Fab Lab.
The startups benefited from many workshops as well as one-on-one support to fulfill the requirements of the program and attended several workshops such as a Customer Segmentation, Validation, Concept Initiation, UX/UI, Prototyping, Pitching workshop.
In addition, the startups attended a four-day Design Sprint Bootcamp designed to help entrepreneurs understand the problem, focus on the customer, have time to brainstorm, sketch solutions, make decisions, build a prototype, and finally test with potential customers.
One fundamental activity of this phase is the ‘Avant-premiere‘ an event that allows the teams to practice their pitches, receive feedback, and validate once more their solutions.
During this edition, Berytech digitalized the Avant Premiere’s funding experience and created the CleanCoin platform, simulating a virtual currency for the investors to use during their tour of the startups. The investors were given a one-million-dollar worth of CleanCoin investment money.
The investors included a group of experts who visited the teams, discovered their ideas, and invested in the solutions that were most attractive to them.
Cleanergy Accelerator Phase 3
By the end of May 2022, up to eight (8) startups will be chosen to go through the third and final phase of the program. This incubation and growth phase is scheduled over 5 months, with $20,000 awarded in matching capital to the teams, who will start preparations for their scale-up. This phase is crucial in helping the participants receive investment from venture capitals or angel investors.
About The Cleanergy Program
Berytech is catalyzing cleantech innovations through a yearly three-phase program that allows cleantech entrepreneurs grow their startup from an idea into a scalable business. With funding and support from the Kingdom of The Netherlands, Berytech designed and developed the Cleanergy program to make sure Lebanon has the most competitive companies innovating in clean technology. Learn more about the Cleanergy Program.